Friday, August 15, 2008

Name of Jesus

You know how sometimes you get a thought that you have had a million times before? Well, this morning was one of those times for me. As I was praying and just talking to God, I was finishing with the standard closure of "in Jesus' name," and it was one of those times where the name of Jesus struck me as so beautiful.

Jesus' name is abused in our society a lot. It is used by people who don't even believe in what He did. He is even being used as a joke in the new movie "Hamlet 2" (I've seen commercials for it.) It is used as a curse or swear word when things don't go our way - where words like "shoot" or "darn" or Charlie Brown's "good grief" could easily be used. (which I prefer those words)

But the name of Jesus is so much more precious and sacred than that! It is a name that recognizes Him as the Son of God. His name is synonymous with perfect living and sacrifice. That name is the name we call on and believe in for our salvation!

How it must break God's heart to hear His Son's name abused and misused. This was His gift to His fallen creation, and it has been trampled on throughout the ages.

I have to ask myself: Do I take the name of Jesus for granted? Do I treat it with the care His name deserves? When I speak His name, am I saying it with honor?

There is a song by Paul Baloche titled "Your Name" that came to mind when I was thinking about that this morning. Some of the lyrics are:

Your Name is a strong and mighty tower
Your Name is a shelter like no other
Your Name, let the nations sing it louder
Cause nothing has the power to save
But Your Name

There is healing in Your Name
Salvation in Your Name,
There is Joy in Your Name
Jesus, in Your Name

Yes, Jesus, in Your Precious, Holy Name!

No comments: