Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sending Us What They've Got

At staff development this last week, someone said (I can't remember who - we hear a lot at staff development 3 days in a row), "Parents aren't keeping their best kids at home. They're sending us what they've got." And as I was praying this morning for the new year and getting ready to welcome my students for the first day, that statement was brought back to mind.

I pray that as I am in the classroom working with these students, that I never forget that this is someone's daughter or someone's son, and they love them immensely. And they have sent the only kids they have to school. It is my responsibility to nurture and grow who they send me. Despite their learning differences, mental or physical handicaps, defiant or stubborn personalities, quiet and reserved demeanors, perfectionist tendencies, know-it-all attitudes, etc, etc, etc. . . That's who I have. And that's who I am to love and teach.

I need the daily reminder that these kids are God's kids, just like me. And just as I am full of my own imperfections and have been stubborn, disobedient, and unloving towards God, I am still His. And these kids - my students- are His. Even if they don't know it yet.

So if you read this and pray, please pray that I wouldn't forget that. And for me to take each day one at a time and to take deep breaths. As my principal has a sign on her door that I think I need, that says something to the effect of: Have a big glass of calm down.

No comments: