Friday, December 18, 2009

Not So Random Thinking

As I was folding laundry this morning, the words from our pastor's message on Sunday popped into my head. I was reminded of what he said about how God seeks us out. He came to earth and dwelt with the people for whom He would later die. No other religion has a deity that sought to get close to the people, much less put on the flesh of creation to be even closer. It should blow our minds that God came to earth and became His own creation.
Sadly, I realized how much I take God for granted. I know that He is always there, so I think subconsciously I choose to pay attention to other things because I know God isn't going anywhere. I take for granted the fact that He sought me out. He loves me and has had His hand on my life for as long as I can remember. Even through my rebellious stages and living with loose morals, He protected me. Because of my foolish decisions, my life could be very damaged. But it is not. And I 100% believe it is because God chose to intervene and shield me from the possible repercussions of my sin.
Yet, I still take Him for granted. The thought makes me wag my head in shame. During this season of recalling Christ's coming to earth and his subsequent death and resurrection, I want to rejoice in His love over me. Zephaniah said in 3:17 that God rejoices over me with gladness, he quiets me with His love; and He exults over me with loud singing. I want to return that to Him.
The rejoicing of Habakkuk is mine: "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places." 3:18-19.

No comments: