Monday, January 30, 2012

A Letter to My Daughter

My Dearest Child,

You are about two months away from being born. Every day I feel you move inside me and I find it difficult to put words to the feelings your movement evokes. It is both thrilling and peculiar at the same time. Being pregnant has been a most surreal experience as I contemplate the fact that a living being – you- is growing inside me. Just two days ago I saw my belly move and contort with your movement. I have to confess it was one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever witnessed.

It dawned on me today how much closer we are to meeting you. It feels like it was such a short time ago that I learned I was pregnant with you and dealing with all the emotions that came along with that knowledge. While you were not something your dad and I tried to create, you are certainly not unwanted. We both are anticipating seeing your face when you are born.

The closer we get to seeing and meeting you, the more eager I become. When I see young daughters of all ages with their mothers, I wonder what you will be like. Will you have your dad’s eyes and lean, tall build? Will you have my dark hair and freckles? I have no doubt that you will be beautiful, both inside and out. You have no idea how much your dad and I have discussed how we desire to raise you. We long for you to be confident in who you are, to know what you believe, and not be easily swayed. We want you to be able to resist the pressure to conform to what society suggests you should be, think, and do. You are who you are. Create your identity as you grow. And be comfortable in that. We will do our best to instill our values in you.

It is my heartfelt desire to have a close and open relationship with you, so that you can always come to me with any concern. I want you to know that I will not freak out, or at least I will try not to, when you need to express your thoughts, opinions, or anything else that is occurring in your life. I truly hope you never feel like you cannot confide in me or share things with me. And the same goes for your dad. We want you to be able to talk to us – honestly. You may think that you will surprise us, but let me assure you that there is not much that will surprise or shock your dad or me. We have lived quite a bit before you, my dear.

So while you continue to grow for the next few months, we are preparing a place for you. It may not be the cutest with all the trappings (sorry, honey, but you don’t get your own room yet), but it’s not like you will know or remember anyway. Regardless of where or how we live, know that our home will always be a home of love, tolerance, and respect. And that is the best home we can provide for you.

With much anticipation and love,

Momma (and Dad)

No comments: