Saturday, September 20, 2008

Profound Truth from "The Shack"

This week I finished reading the book The Shack. It was recommended by my Aunt Carolyn this last summer, and since then different people have said it is a must read. One of my co-workers gave me her copy to read because she said I needed to read it. So I did. And it was amazing! There is some questionable doctrine in it, but it is a fiction book. There is one part, though, toward the end that when I read it, I thought, "Wow! What an amazing insight." I have never really heard tragedy addressed in this way, and it just makes sense.

It's on page 185. God is talking to Mack about his personal tragedy, and Mack is trying to understand why it had to happen. God says this: "Mack, just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don't ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I need it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."

After reading that, my mind quickly jumped to personal tragedies in my life. And I know that God has brought a lot of good out of one in particular, and I am thankful for His grace that sustained me. We are quick to conclude that whatever happens must be God's will, but we live in a fallen world where people do a lot of bad things that God never intended. If I believe that God is good, and that no evil exists in Him and that He can have nothing to do with evil, how could I ever think that the bad things that happen were caused by Him? Those 2 lines of thinking don't go together. But I do believe that "God works all things together for good for those who are called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28). That word "all" really does mean "all." Nothing is excluded. *clarification note: as I have learned more about God and His absolute control, I have come to rethink my position on this. God, if He truly is fully in control, absolutely knows what evil will befall us, and He does allow it (take Job, for instance). If evil were not in God's control, how could He be truly sovereign? This idea seems contrary to popular belief and long-held ideas I had about God, but it makes sense. It doesn't make God evil, because He is not, but He is in control. Crazy and difficult to comprehend, but He is God, and that's all that matters. We can trust Him.*

I am thankful for William P. Young and his book that is getting a lot of people thinking about God, both Christian and non-Christian. I think it is good to raise some challenges to the ways we have always thought about God. And I love the relationship aspect that is so heavily accentuated in this book.

So if you are looking for a book, here's one for you!

No comments: